10 Low Fat recipes for leftover Thanksgiving turkey
When Thanksgiving or Christmas is
- Add 2 cups of chopped
- leftover turkey, a selection of
- chopped vegetables and 1 cup
- of uncooked rice or noodles to
- 3 cans fat-free, low sodium
- chicken broth.
- Add leftover turkey to a
- mix of arugula and spinach,
- sliced mushrooms, cranberries,
- shredded carrots, sliced red
- onions and a sprinkling of
- heart-healthy walnuts.
- Toss with your favorite low fat
- or fat free fruity dressing or
- Sandwiches and Wraps
- Use slices of leftover turkey
- to make all kinds of sandwiches.
- Be sure to use whole grain
- breads and rolls,
- and low fat or fat free fillings.
- If you don’t like the taste of
- fat-free mayo, use mustard instead,
- or flavor your mayo with a little
- curry powder or another herb or
- Make a turkey-salad filling
- with crunchy celery, cranberries
- and apple.
- Use plain low fat yogurt for
- the dressing.
- Stuff into a whole wheat pita
- or spoon into the center of a
- whole wheat tortilla wrap
- and roll up.
- Pizza Toppings
- Top a prepared whole wheat
- crust with 1/2 cup of tomato
- or barbecue sauce,
- 1 cup of chopped turkey and
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes
- at 450 degrees.
- Combine shredded turkey
- with a little cumin.
- Spoon on one half of a low
- fat corn tortilla;
- sprinkle with reduced fat cheese;
- fold tortilla in half and cook in
- a nonstick skillet
- (coated with cooking spray)
- for 5 minutes,
- turning once.
- Burritos, Enchiladas,
- Fajitas, and Tacos
- Add shredded turkey to salsa,
- black beans, low fat sour
- cream and reduced fat cheese;
- or combine with sautéed onions
- and sweet peppers;
- with shredded lettuce and
- chopped tomatoes;
- or mix with mild green chiles,
- seasonings, scallions and a
- can of enchilada sauce.
- Use low fat flour or
- corn wraps with these fillings.
- Pot pies Add leftover turkey,
- sliced mushrooms and leftover
- green beans and carrots to
- low fat, reduced sodium
- condensed chicken or
- mushroom soup.
- Top with a low fat biscuit topping
- (there’s now a low fat version
- of Bisquick) or phyllo pastry sheets.
- Combine 2 cups chopped
- leftover turkey with 2 cups
- cooked whole grain rice,
- a can fat-free, low sodium
- broth or chopped tomatoes,
- and a selection of chopped
- vegetables in a 2-quart
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees
- for 30-40 minutes,
- until vegetables are tender.
- Skillet Meals
- Add 1 1/2 cups of chopped
- leftover turkey to sautéed onion,
- mushrooms, broccoli and rice
- cooked in fat-free broth.
- Sprinkle some parmesan
- before serving.
- Pasta dishes Add leftover turkey
- to your any number of pasta dishes.
- Use shredded turkey instead of
- ground beef in your favorite
- lasagna recipe.
- Be sure to use reduced fat cheeses.
Finally, don’t forget the carcass:
once that turkey has finally gone,
bones and all,
you might even miss it…